Where does a Wheaton education major take you?

Wheaton education majors engage in a variety of pursuits after graduation.  Early-Childhood, elementary, and secondary education majors receive an initial Massachusetts teaching license, which grants up to ten years to earn professional licensure.  This license does not automatically meet certification requirements outside of Massachusetts, but it can be converted to licensure in other states (some jurisdictions require additional exams, courses, and/or fees).  Click here to consult the websites of state education departments for information about the conversion process and click here to learn more about licensure reciprocity between different states. Wheaton’s education minor does not lead to a license in Massachusetts or any other state. Current and prospective students can seek guidance from their advisor or the education department chair (gelber_scott@wheatoncollege.edu / 508-286-3671).

Recent graduates are teaching in public schools and independent schools in New England as well as across the country and around the globe. Other graduates have become principals and educational specialists.  Alumni have continued their studies of education and related subjects in masters and doctoral programs at graduate schools. Our students have won Fulbright fellowships to teach English in countries such as South Korea, France, Germany, Thailand, and Malaysia. Wheaton’s career services staff and education faculty are available to assist students during their job searches. Under certain circumstances, graduates who go on to teach may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness.

Students who do not complete a licensure major can teach at independent schools and some public charter schools.  Graduates can also pursue licensure through alternative programs such as the Boston Teacher Residency or New York City Teaching Fellows. For information about alternative routes or teaching in independent schools, visit the career services site.  Unlicensed graduates may also be able to find teaching positions in hard-to-staff public schools or within hard-to-staff fields such as ELL, Special Education, and STEM. But the most reliable way to prepare for a teaching job is to earn a license.